Monday, August 15, 2011

Status Update


Here it is August 15, 2011 — Where has all the Summer gone. School will start in a couple of weeks and I'm only starting to get tomatoes. That will teach me to start the plants earlier in the future. The picture above shows the edge of the garden after a heavy rainfall which knocked down a couple of the tomato cages. That's very annoying but doesn't really seem to bother the tomatoes that much.
We have a counter top full of tomatoes. In all I've picked 25 so far for a total of 7.97 (almost eight) pounds. Some of them have exhibited some splitting, testimony to the heat and the fact that they're not grown hydroponically. I've also had some blossom end rot. But on the whole they look pretty good as I think you can see. They are all big boys but I don't think they've been all that big. The average weight has only been about 5 1/8 ounces, maybe six if we throw out some of the outliers. I'll put a histogram up of their weight when I have some more data.And here are a few still on the vine waiting to be picked. The first two, rather disappointing ones were picked on August 1st and then it's been fast and furious staring on August 10th, 12th, 14th, and 15th. Pretty soon the counter will be overflowing and we'll be seeking tomato eaters or adjusting our diet to be more in keeping with the largesse available.



No comments: