Sunday, July 27, 2008

What Got Me Interesested?


Gardening is one of those things that you either love or hate. I always sort of hated it. It was too frustrating and way too much work. On the other hand, I really liked to see things growing and it was pretty cool when the things were things I'd planted and nurtured.

Still there were weeds to be done away with and critters to defend against that liked to come and nibble on things, even birds sometimes would come down and peck a tomato leaving a puncture.

I've always read science fiction and occasionally I'd read that hydroponics was the way that they would grow food on the space ship or the space station. Of course I envisioned all kinds of glass tubes and strangely colored mixtures of goop, having no idea about the real thing. Then I read somewhere that hydroponics as a great way to grow tomatoes. I've always loved tomatoes so that was the beginning of my adventure. If you could grow great tomatoes with hydroponics then I was all for it.

The first thing to do was to find out more, so I purchased Howard Resh's textbook, "Hydroponic Food Production." It turned out to be a pretty heavy duty book, pretty heavy in the weight category too. But it was clear and authoritative and I ate it up and decided to experiment on the side of the house with hydroponics. That was the Winter of 1995 I think.

No comments: