Monday, October 18, 2010

Hydroponics 2010 RIP

Yesterday we took down the float system and the garden. It only took a little more than an hour to pick up all the dried stalks of corn and root up the dwindling tomato plants. The hydroponics float system took even less time since you just dumped the nutrient and then took the plants, although there is always a tangle of roots, and pulled them out and put them in the trash cans.

We scavenged some green tomatoes and some last minute ripe ones and got about ten pounds in that category. The total summation for the season will have to wait a while until I have a few minutes to go over all the records.


Overall this float system was a big success. It grew a lot of tomatoes, more than the garden despite having fewer plants. The support system was a disaster but tomatoes grow anyway so it wasn't all that big of a disaster. Next time we put out a float system we'll fix a better support design. I've already got one in mind. I don't know if we'll do a hydroponics system next Summer. The better half says she has plans and you fellows know what that means.


Anonymous said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

hydroplants said...

Hello Ray, thanks for sharing this to your readers! I'm just curious to know what type of float system you used. Did you use net pots? I have been growing with hydroponics for almost 6 months now and have been pretty satisfied with my wick system. I am planning on using a different system in my next growing season to see if I can get the same results I am getting with the wick system. :)

Ray Schneider said...

Basically I used a children's kiddie pool, one of the cheap $10 ones that is about 3 feet in diameter and a sheet of 2"/3" styrofoam insulation for the floats.

Netpots would have worked fine but I actually used little plastic cups with holes cut in the bottom for the roots to escape.

I used a central pump to make a fountain to provide oxygenation and a second pump to provide circulation to discourage the mosquitoes from breeding.

You can see the original set up earlier in the blog roll at

Ray Schneider said...