Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting Warmer ...

Well it's getting warmer and when March arrives it's hard not to start thinking about hydroponics. This year I'm going to try to go back to NFT since the passive wick system was a big disappointment last year. I'm sure I could make a better wick system, but I don't want to do a really big job and I definitely want tomatoes this year. So some sort of small NFT system seems in the cards.

Another kind of system that would be fun to make is some sort of fairly large dynamic float system. I loved this video I saw some time back ... it was a YouTube and I'm not sure where it was, maybe I can find it. So far no luck. It was a HUGE commercial system with continuous feed onto rafts and a big waterfall to oxygenate the water. If anyone sees it send me the link PLEASE.

2 comments:

Upside Down Tomato Growing said...

I love the idea! Looking forward for updates ;)

Ray Schneider said...

Well it's finally a reality. We'll see how it fares. There is a big tulip tree which has some illness that rains down buds and leaves on the system, so there is some concern there. I think that was likely where I got the disease that pretty much killed off last year's wick system.